Lucid Hardboot Alpine Carving
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shops that tune alpine boards in New England?

+3
Beckmann AG
Jack Michaud
fishrising
7 posters

Go down

Shops that tune alpine boards in New England? Empty Shops that tune alpine boards in New England?

Post by fishrising Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Hey All, what shops in the Northeast tune boards well? Specifically in CT? Seems like Mike at SkiMD is no longer doing it. Thanks! Ben
fishrising
fishrising

Back to top Go down

Shops that tune alpine boards in New England? Empty Re: Shops that tune alpine boards in New England?

Post by Jack Michaud Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:14 am

Bummer about SkiMD. This doesn't specifically help you, but I just wanted to throw it out there that Happy Tunes near Sugarloaf does a great job.
Jack Michaud
Jack Michaud

http://www.jmphotocraft.com

Back to top Go down

Shops that tune alpine boards in New England? Empty Re: Shops that tune alpine boards in New England?

Post by Beckmann AG Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:49 am

Will second Jack's recommendation on HT.
However, you need to call ahead and make sure you speak with Lionel in order to assure the desired outcome.
Beckmann AG
Beckmann AG

http://beckmannag.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ursle Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 am

The boot pro 8022282776, on the left at the bottom of the okemo access road in Ludlow will do you well, 60$, dropped off a schtubby last week, grind and texture, edges and wax.

Ok, just picked up the board, they offered to emulate the ski-md grind or put on what they describes as a pattern design that glides better, it’s very discreet and the pattern is very thin, good for cold snow, the edges are shiny(vs file rows), the bottoms flat and it’s a great deal, I’m going to throw the MK at them, it came with really raised bumps on the edges, the (factory grind is really loud),and it’s 1/8” cupped from the prior owner overheating the base, they seem to insist you pick the board up immediately, tight for room I guess.

Last edited by ursle on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
ursle
ursle

Back to top Go down

Post by lafcadio Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:54 pm

fishrising wrote:Seems like Mike at SkiMD is no longer doing it.

Btw, I exchanged emails with Mike DiSantis at SkiMD and he says he is still tuning carving boards, but no longer servicing all mountain boards and has stopped accepting mail order boards. I'm having him tune my Coiler and Pure Boarding boards. I'll report back on the experience when the job is done.
lafcadio
lafcadio

Back to top Go down

Post by fishrising Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:04 pm

interesting... just 3 days he told me:

“If you noticed, on my website there's no longer any mention of snowboards or snowboard grinding service. This is due to the fact that boards are immensely time consuming and extremely unproductive. About 1 board to 3-4pr of skis, the numbers don't work, not to mention I simply don't like doing it.“
“Sorry for the brutal honesty it's nothing personal, I simply can no longer afford to offer this unique service.”
fishrising
fishrising

Back to top Go down

Post by lafcadio Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:56 am

Ouch, that sucks. I emailed him back in September and just haven't gotten around to getting my board to him yet.
lafcadio
lafcadio

Back to top Go down

Post by dHamann Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:27 pm

DIY. Tuning and maintenance is a labor of love. Ski's or board. I've had good luck with racewax.com. They're in Mass. quick deliveries if you're in CT. Stone grinds are all I use a shop for now. I'm definitely still learning but I trust almost nobody else doing anything to my boards. I'm probably doing some things wrong but it seems to work for the most part. Plus I t's fun and a skill worth exploring IMO.

I made a simple table/board with a rubbery shelf liner to grip the board for scraping and put on sawhorses. Iron. Brushes. Starter kit. Go.
dHamann
dHamann

Back to top Go down

Post by lafcadio Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:39 pm

I agree with DIY for general tuning such as wax and edge maintenance. However, when I need a base grind or more than a minor repair (thankfully not often), I have no clue how I could do this properly by myself.

Does anyone have experience with DIY solutions for base restructuring? How would one ensure the base is properly flattened?
lafcadio
lafcadio

Back to top Go down

Post by Geoffv Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:27 am

Ben, I found shop that I have been using in RI that has done a great job tuning for me and is cheap. Full non-race tune is around $60. I have had good results with their tune in NASTAR last year. I just had them tune my KST 168.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Ask for Tom Crowley and use my name, Tom is trying to expand his tuning business.
Geoffv
Geoffv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down