Waxing for man made snow

Go down

Waxing for man made snow

Post by Dude on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:40 am

I ride southern Ontario and western N.Y. Small hills with alot of man made snow to make up for location and lots of ice from temperature fluctuations.
After a day or 2 of riding, the base near the edges gets stripped of wax and goes white. I hot wax with a universal wax. What wax will last longer on this snow? How to apply wax for these conditions? There was recent thread on the old bomber site about using cork or the wax wizard. Will this method of applying wax last longer then the traditional iron hot Wax?

Dude

Back to top Go down

Re: Waxing for man made snow

Post by TVR on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:10 am

on Amazon, look up "Purl Ski/Snowboard Wax All temp 1Lb Block"

(not allowed to post external links)

This wax is almost impossible to scrape if you let it cool fully, and takes a VERY long time to wear off a board. It has a good range all in all, but it is NOT racing wax and not for gaining speed.

If I am correct, however, this would be a good use for what you are looking for. I use this for storage, and for first year runs....
TVR

Back to top Go down

Post by Corey on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 am

This question was made for me! Wink Sorry to hear that you have the same problem. We should all move West...

I use a cold/hard wax on outer 1" of the base near the edges, and reapply daily. I find it wears off pretty fast no matter what method you apply the wax when riding on cold man-made sandpaper, so I use the Wax Whizard/Pro-Glide as it takes a fraction of the time (and wax) as using an iron.

I use an all-temp wax or the same cold wax depending on the forecast for the rest of the base.
Corey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigWaveDave on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 am

Like Cory, I crayon-on some hard wax near the outer 1" of the edges to replenish that high wear area. If I have an iron handy I'll gently warm the wax on the base with a couple of quick passes and then cork it in. If no iron handy, it helps if the wax and board are relatively warm for the rub-in method. Certainly is easier, uses less wax and seems to be just as durable.
BigWaveDave

Back to top Go down

Post by TinMan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:05 pm

When I was living back east I did the same think that corey did: I used dominator bullet over the edges.
TinMan

Back to top Go down

Post by teach on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:12 pm

There are extra-cold powder waxes that you sprinkle on and iron in. Dominator has one, Arctic I think? Toko has one, too. Use over your regular wax. Not possible to wax wizard in. REALLY hard. I use it at the edges, 2" or so. Iron on with a paper between the iron and base so you don't have to scrape... you DON'T want to scrape this stuff!

It does work really well in the abrasive snow I ride. I don't use it as much as I used to, though, because of a thing I rtead on the SkiMD sit -- that wax needs to "exude" from the base to do its job, so super hard wax isn't SkiMD recommended.

teach

Back to top Go down

Post by Dude on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Where does one find a wax whizard/pro glide in Canada?

Dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corey on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:41 pm

I got mine from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and had it delivered to Aspen.
Corey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario W on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:39 pm

ghetto method>
Short piece of 1 1/2 pvc/abs wrapped in a shop towel. Buff til your hearts content. Tried it once after all of my wax wizard cloths were caked with wax. same results for 4.95 + tax
Mario W

Back to top Go down

Post by Mig on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Pro-Glide / Wax Wizard users: how many waxings do you get out of one fabric sheet / cloth?

Mig

Back to top Go down

Post by jburk on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:13 pm

The included docs say:
The cloth will last a long time and does not need to be cleaned. Cleaning the cloth is achieved by removing it, and using scalding hot tap water and detergent to remove wax buildup. Wax buildup doesn't affect the effectiveness of the Pro-Glide wrote:
but I think I saw somewhere you should also use a separate sheet for each wax temp.

I'm guessing that the cloths will last as long as you don't trash them while you're swapping them in and out if you do use separate cloth for each wax temp.
jburk

Back to top Go down

Post by ursle on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:01 pm

Mig wrote:Pro-Glide / Wax Wizard users: how many waxings do you get out of one fabric sheet / cloth?

Six years, wax every time out, interesting to read about cleaning with hot water, I had been, no wear, wax wise, I always use the same around 25 degree wax, and sometimes use really cold wax, or really warm or rain wax, And the cold wax doesn’t mix at all and the warm wax just melts away, so multiple sheets aren’t really in my vision, having spent years on wooden 22 layers of wood cross country skis requiring a different wax every two or less degrees, or depending upon sun or shade, I’m well versed at hitting the right wax, but if your bottom is clean and sharp and the wax is fresh, its not a cross country ski, and it glides great.
ursle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corey on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:05 pm

I've been using the same two pieces of fabric since I got it. Maybe 4 or 5 years, 20+ uses per year. One for the cold wax and one for the all-temp.

The cold wax one is completely plugged with wax, still works great.
Corey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mig on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:05 am

Thanks for the answers guys!

Mig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dude on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:02 am

For the ghetto method... what shop towel? Any old micro fiber will work?

Sent from Topic'it App

Dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario W on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:27 am

Dude wrote:For the ghetto method... what shop towel? Any old micro fiber will work?

Sent from Topic'it App
Havent tried the microfiber, I just used the blue shop towels from the evil empire of home improvement (Home Depot) that happened to be on my work bench
mario
Mario W

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down