Tahoe over President's Day...bad idea?

Go down

Tahoe over President's Day...bad idea?

Post by Dan on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 pm

I have a bunch of cousins in the Bay Area, and we have been talking about a ski trip over President's Day weekend. I wouldn't normally plan a trip over a holiday weekend, but my cousins have kids in school so whaddaya gonna do. We've been spitballing Tahoe - possibly Squaw - but my wife thinks that any ski area in the Tahoe area will be a junkshow of epic proportions over President's Day weekend.

I'm not particularly interested in waiting 45 minutes to get on the chair, or being afraid to make a turn. Any thoughts from Tahoe area folks? Is it even worth heading down there over a holiday, or should we bag the whole thing or just try to get everyone to come up to Bachelor instead? If the Tahoe area is a possibility, what ski area would you recommend?

Dan

Back to top Go down

Re: Tahoe over President's Day...bad idea?

Post by Cuban on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm

I have only ridden Heavenly on that weekend. Its A extra charge on my value pass but I have payed it most years. Saturdays and Sunday are great. On sunday Feb 21 2016 i did 40,807 vert that day. Carving the majority of them. It was so great  that day. I was only waiting for A opening on less than ten runs. Last year not as great but worth the discounted price. The weekend is better than the week after. Lots of kids with the week off.

I get buddy passes if you cant get a discount. Ill have to check on price for the holiday.
Cuban

Back to top Go down

Post by ibrussell on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 pm

I'd take a look at resorts web cams on a weekend after they open to see if you want to deal with that may people. After moving to Idaho I won't ski Tahoe on weekends/holidays. Squaw have some lower intermediate groomers at the 6200Ft mid mountain, and nice runs on Shirley lakes. NorthStar has nice grooming and limits number of people on the mountain( to too many). Heavenly has great groomers but they seem to funnel into each other. Big enough if you know where and when to deal with maybe. When I was there at least one person a year died because of straight liners. Sierra has some great groomers on west bowl. I'd see if they would come to Bachelor.
ibrussell

Back to top Go down

Post by TinMan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:16 pm

I've had remarkably good luck at kirkwood at presidents day weekend. The crowds do show up but they tend to start late and leave early. Nobody there on the last day of course and slow to rise on the first.
TinMan

Back to top Go down

Post by barryj on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:19 am

I live and work at Squaw. Fun can be had and there is great energy from most people that know they are showing up on one of the most crowded weekends of the season. Just be prepared it is usually a parking nightmare on the way in and a traffic jam on the way out.....but once your there And up the Mtn. you can find open terrain....but expect the lift lines to be past the ropes by 10am.

Like they say: Early bird gets the worm!
I would only suggest it if you can get there early...as in standing in the Funitel line at 7:30am sipping your Starbucks.....and stay past 5pm to avoid the backed up bumper to bumper traffic the whole 8 miles from Squaw to the interstate at Truckee!

Also check out the Squaw App to see what lifts are spinning and if there are any weather or traffic delays.

Have Fun whatever you decide.........

barryj

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:18 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for the info. I'm going to push for Bachelor over President's Day, or Tahoe some other weekend. Most of the group is coming from the Bay Area, so we'll see. The most crowded weekend in Tahoe just doesn't sound that good though, especially if there are other options.

Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lincoln Turns on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Dan wrote:Hey everyone, thanks for the info. I'm going to push for Bachelor over President's Day, or Tahoe some other weekend. Most of the group is coming from the Bay Area, so we'll see. The most crowded weekend in Tahoe just doesn't sound that good though, especially if there are other options.

Don't burn yourself out on Bachelor, I'm still trying to put a session together April 3-7.
Lincoln Turns

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Lincoln Turns wrote:
Don't burn yourself out on Bachelor, I'm still trying to put a session together April 3-7.  

Keenan, is that you? I'm in for Bachelor on April 3-7. Very Happy Don't see how I could get burned out on that mountain, I haven't even ridden the Cloudchaser chair yet. Hoping to get a day or two in around Christmas when we're visiting my in-laws.

Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down