Lucid Hardboot Alpine Carving
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What bindings do you use for a small UPZ boot

+5
RyanN
RobertAlexander
Corey
pokkis
AcousticBoarder
9 posters

Go down

What bindings do you use for a small UPZ boot Empty What bindings do you use for a small UPZ boot

Post by jburk Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:36 pm

I've got [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that's similar to this, but would like to ask a different question.

This one is addressed to anyone who wears a UPZ boot 26 or smaller.  Please don't respond and tell me what works for you in a Deelux, Head, etc, or your mp31 UPZ gunboats.  I'm trying to sort out what will work for a small UPZ boot, and possibly allow me to get centered over the board.

• which bindings do you use that work for your smaller (mp26 or less) UPZ boots?
  • what size are your boots?
  • step-in heels, or regular?
  • are you able to get centered, or use "gilmour bias"?

Any and all responses are greatly appreciated, thanks for the help.
jburk
jburk

Back to top Go down

What bindings do you use for a small UPZ boot Empty Re: What bindings do you use for a small UPZ boot

Post by Corey Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:01 pm

I think the UPZ shell sizes are the same for 27 and 26.

If so, my Bomber TD3 SI SW bindings could almost center my boots. I used the Fuego method (sliding a box past the board edge to see what part of the boot hit the box) to determine what 'center' is. My rear foot could be centered, but my front foot was always a little offset to the rear even with the heel block as far forward as it could with the shortest holes. The upper cuff buckles rubbed the snow, while the toe was something like a cm inboard from the edge. At the same time, you can't access two of the three angle adjustment screws for either foot.

If you ran a toe-clip TD3, you could reverse the toe/heel blocks to get a lot more range. But then you lose the awesome hard stops that hold the bails in the right position. I asked Fin about making a version of the toe/heel blocks with the stops on the other side for smaller UPZ boots - Fin suggested I buy 'real' boots. LOL!

I think the top racers all use F2. Maybe Ibex, Hoof, Virus, Proflex, etc. will also work?
Corey
Corey

Back to top Go down

What bindings do you use for a small UPZ boot Empty Re: What bindings do you use for a small UPZ boot

Post by jburk Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:22 pm

The 27s are 299mm, and the 26s are 287mm, anything smaller all use the same shell.  So the 26s suffer just that much more "too small" vs the 27s.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I had such high hopes for F2's.  I've got an email into Dan at UPZ boots asking if he knows what any of his "compact-footed" customers are using, if I glean any info from him I'll post it here.
jburk
jburk

Back to top Go down

Post by AcousticBoarder Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:37 am

I'm running m25 UPZ, and using td3 SW regular. Specifically, 16-17 production run ones. I compared older makes and there was some variation that didn't allow me to really use other models. I can manage a slight bit of bias with them
AcousticBoarder

Back to top Go down

Post by pokkis Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:18 am

There are few tables of UPZ sizes around, and i think above is not correct but this one is
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
pokkis
pokkis

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanN Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:21 am

I'm using TD3 SI's and F2 Ti intecs for my 25.0 UPZ's. The TD3's are adjusted almost all the way in but the boots are centered in the binding...the F2's (medium size) have more room for adjustment and the angles are easier to change on the rare occasion I mess with it (the toe and heel blocks cover the screws on the TD3's).

I have a pair of SW SI's as well and I had to flip the toe bail to get them to fit (not quite centered). I was hoping for a revision to this binding buy that doesn't look likely in the near future.
RyanN

Back to top Go down

Post by jburk Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:16 am

On your F2 Ti Intecs mediums, do you have to have the heel pieces adjusted all the way inward, as far as it will go, or are you left with some adjustment room?
jburk
jburk

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanN Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 am

I'll check and take a few pic tonight.
RyanN

Back to top Go down

Post by RobertAlexander Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:39 pm

2 hrs ago, I just got a pair of UPZ RC10 new never used blue. size 8 FLO liner,  inner shell says 7-8,   The outer heel says 7/7.5/8,  278mm/299mm,     they fit like a glove,   I looks like they will take intec and/or Fintec.  The inner cable hole is  already open.    So these will  not take a Bomber BTS, so I will use the springs that are already in the boot,  and if needed, improvise with some springs.   Lucky me at a High School Ski swap!!
RobertAlexander

Back to top Go down

Post by Corey Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:31 pm

RobertAlexander wrote:2 hrs ago, I just got a pair of UPZ RC10 new never used blue. size 8 FLO liner,  inner shell says 7-8,   The outer heel says 7/7.5/8,  278mm/299mm,     they fit like a glove,   I looks like they will take intec and/or Fintec.  The inner cable hole is  already open.    So these will  not take a Bomber BTS, so I will use the springs that are already in the boot,  and if needed, improvise with some springs.   Lucky me at a High School Ski swap!!

Good find!

For the UPZ springs - my ankle runs out of travel before the stock springs do (one click/hole forward from neutral), so I haven't changed them. I really like the ride/walk switch, though I hate when I forget to switch them back to 'ride'.
Corey
Corey

Back to top Go down

Post by RobertAlexander Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:53 pm

went back to the same high school ski swap and got a pair of  Full Tilt boots with the wrap Intuition liners in my size of 265mm.  $20.    I was after the liners.  and new un used Bern goggles, $20      

On the topic of UPZ 26 or smaller being too small for TD3 plates,  How about drilling and tapping another set of holes on the plate, to accommodate said smaller length boot.  Have not looked at it,  but maybe I need to do this.  .....??
RobertAlexander

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanN Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:02 pm

RobertAlexander wrote:... being too small for TD3 plates,  How about drilling and tapping another set of holes on the plate, to accommodate said smaller length boot.  Have not looked at it,  but maybe I need to do this.  .....??

There is not enough room to drill any more holes in the plates...they're about as close to the angle adjustment screws as possible.

jburk,

There is only one more step of adjustment in the F2 heels and a little less than a quarter inch of adjustment in the toe. The F2's are more biased to the heels while my TD3's are better centered.

RyanN

Back to top Go down

Post by jburk Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Just got off the phone with Dan Yoja, the North American distributor for UPZ boots. Really nice guy, friendly and super helpful.

He says that he sells a lot of 24s and 25s to youth racers, and that they tend to go with the F2 race binding with the heel bail.

Another option he suggested was the small size Snowpro binding, in either the step-in or heel bail configuration. He says that binding in the small size is a really good match for the smaller UPZ shells, and the UPZ mp26 287mm shell is the largest recommended for the small binding, the mp27 will barely fit in the small and is a better match for the large.

Anyone have any experience with the Snowpro bindings?  I may just go this route.

Last edited by jburk on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mis-spelled Dan's last name)
jburk
jburk

Back to top Go down

Post by pokkis Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Here pic of M size with added holes to get proper bias adjust for small boot size
pokkis
pokkis

Back to top Go down

Post by jburk Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:03 pm

Nice. How do you stop the t-nut from spinning?
jburk
jburk

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanN Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Another thing to consider IIRC is that the fin tec heels have the pins slightly more forward than the standard intec heels...I seem to remember having to move my receivers up slightly when I switched to the Bomber heels.
RyanN

Back to top Go down

Post by Corey Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 am

Interesting find Ryan! So the Fintec heel makes things even worse for us UPZ users.

You can see in Ryan's picture of the TD3 that you could flip the red toe block around to fit really small boots. The step-in mechanism limits things, but a clip-in binding should fit anything.
Corey
Corey

Back to top Go down

Post by jburk Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:18 am

Anyone have any experience with the Snowpro bindings, either step-in or heel bail type? All the good google results point back to BOL. :-(
jburk
jburk

Back to top Go down

Post by pokkis Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:37 am

jburk wrote:Nice. How do you stop the t-nut from spinning?
Have no issue when tightening them before installing them to board
pokkis
pokkis

Back to top Go down

Post by RobertAlexander Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:04 am

Out of curiosity, I have ridden Deluxe Indy, and Deluxe 325, My question is, Where do UPZ RC10 boots fall on the flex rating/comparison? Just putting them on and flexing them on the floor, they feel about the same as 325, maybe a little bit stiffer. UPZ stock springs , guessing. Have got enough liners now, will probably figure something out that will work. The UPZ Flow liner feels like a medium to hard flex...? thks
RobertAlexander

Back to top Go down

Post by TinMan Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 pm

I've been using Virus Powerlock bindings. I switched to them from bombers because I was having fit/bias issues with mp26 stepin upz and td3's. I mostly switched to be able to set my bias better but I also feel like the bombers are pretty overengineered, and fussy with too many parts. I also feel like the wide footprint+stiff elastomer makes the binding pull on the inserts very hard. anywhoo ... I was a 26mp (downsized) and stepins did not have any problems with that, now I'm in a 28 (for comfort reasons) and that's obviously not a problem. I would think F2 is your best bet since they offer sizes. I like the powerlock's because they are stiff.
TinMan
TinMan

Back to top Go down

Post by jburk Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:57 pm

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the F2 Intec will be what I end up going with for my mp26 UPZs.

I had my first day of the season today at Mt Hood Meadows on some old F2/Proflex bindings (that were originally on my early-90's F2 Beamer Race) just to have something to keep by boots attached to the board, they look like they could have served as first-generation of the current F2 Race.  It reminded me how much I prefer step-in heels vs a heel bail.

I had to set these bindings up with the front biased towards the heel and the rear biased toward the toe, as described in the old "gilmour bias" threads on BOL.  The toe and heel pieces ended up being adjusted almost identically as a set of 2018 F2 Intec Titatniums (large size), and these bindings were from '92 or '93.  Guess the more things change...

And it worked just fine; got some nice clean carved lines in, fast edge-to-edge transitions, no sensation of fighting the board, etc.  Having each boot perfectly centered on the board and inline with each other just might be over-rated.

With the Intecs, I should be able to get the both the front and back feet where I need them, despite being at the very near the end of the adjustment range on both heel and toe.  If boot-out ever becomes an issue, I can drill an extra set set of holes for the heel pieces like pokkis did [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
jburk
jburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cuban Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Regular F2 T.Small (21.5-26.5)  26 UPZ . Yes you can center the boot.
Cuban
Cuban

Back to top Go down

Post by Cuban Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:53 pm

I found this on Carvers Paradise.com
Small(m21.5-m26.5)
medium(m24.5-m27.5)
large (m26.5-m31)
Cuban
Cuban

Back to top Go down

Post by ExcelsiorTheFathead Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:02 pm

I wear UPZ RC-10s in the 287mm length (26.5 for me) and have had all of the same issues. I never liked the way they fit in TD3s because the bails had to be all the way in. Somewhere along the way shorter heel bails were made and I believe that at some point they became standard. It was often recommended to turn the toe (?) block around and mount the bail backwards to shorten up the assembly but I never liked that myself.

In the beginning I used the SnowPro FAST step-ins with their associated heels. It worked fine with my short boots although the minor downsides of the FAST system are another matter altogether.

I switched to FinTec heels after awhile and rode on TD3s with the known issues then finally went to short-plate Cateks when I switched to skwals. Because of their design with no center hole, Cateks have none of these issues and are my current preferred thing.
ExcelsiorTheFathead
ExcelsiorTheFathead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down